Objectives of the Forum shall be to:
- promote contact among the Election Management Bodies of the SAARC countries;
- share experiences with a view to learning from each other; and
cooperate with one another in enhancing for capabilities of the Election Management Bodies towards conducting free and fair elections.
ORGAN OF THE FORUM
The operational arm shall be the Council of the Forum of Heads of Election Management Bodies of SAARC countries.
- The Council shall be the supreme authority of the Forum and comprise the Heads of the Election Management Bodies of SAARC Countries, or such other Election Commissioner/Member/ authorized representative as may be deputed by the Head of the concerned Election Management Body.
- The Council shall meet at least once a year in one of the Member countries selected, as far as possible, on the basis of alphabetical rotation; the place and dates to be determined by Council. The meetings of the Council will be held with all members attending.
- The Head of the Election Management Body of the Host Country shall be the Chair of the Council from commencement of one meeting to the commencement of the next, and will also discharge secretarial functions during this period.
The Council shall;
- Approve the programmes of the Forum;
- Decide subjects for discussion in any Conference/ Meeting of the Forum;
- Consider and decide all matters concerning the Forum and Conduct of the Council;
- Frame Rules for the conduct of the business of the Forum; and
- Fix the date and venue of Conferences/ Meetings of the Forum.
Adopt an acronym and Logo for the Forum, if possible by circulation.
FUNDING ARRANGEMENT FOR MEETINGS
- Expenses on local hospitality, logistic support and internal travel for any meeting of the Forum shall be borne by the Election Management Body hosting the meeting.
Expenditure on international travel shall be borne by the respective visiting delegations.
- Decisions at all levels of the Forum shall be taken on the basis of unanimity;
- Bilateral and contentious issues should be excluded from the deliberation of the Forum.
The agreement shall not affect the right of any of the Forum members to interact, cooperate or enter into MoU with other members of the Forum or any other organizations.
INTERACTION AND COORDINATION
- The Forum may establish and maintain relations with other regional and international Electoral Organizations. The Council, in agreement with the organizations concerned, shall determine the nature and forms of such relations;
- The chairperson, or a member EMB as decided by the Chairperson, will represent the Forum, at their own cost, in meetings of similar other associations or bodies, when invited.
The members of the Forum will implement recommendations and decisions adopted by the Forum from time to time.
- A member of the Forum may be leave the Forum after due written notification of its decision.
- The Forum may be dissolved by a resolution of the Council.
Upon such dissolution, the Council shall further decide concerning the disposal of the assets and payment of liabilities of the Forum.
In faith whereof We Have Set out Hands Hereunto.
Done in New Delhi, on this the 1st Day of May the year Two Thousand Twelve.
Edited by ECI